Let’s face it–strawberry and rhubarb are a match made in heaven. There’s something about the sweetness of the fresh berries and the tart flavor of the rhubarb that makes for a fantastic combo, whether in the form of a drink, a sauce, a crumble, a pie or some cute lil galettes! Given that it’s Memorial day weekend and temperatures in the northeast are suuper high (we’re talking 90s!), I thought these might be the perfect easy treat to whip up. The process is simple: start with your favorite pie dough recipe, roll it out into three or four circle-ish shapes, top with your fruit mixture and fold the edges of the dough over, then just brush with egg wash and bake.
I decided these guys were the perfect treat to feature in my first ever attempt at a step by step video! You should’ve seen the set up I created to get a good aerial shot. I had my marble board on the ground in the patio, and my little video camera on a tripod with the legs put through the slots in the back of one of our outdoor chairs so it would stay in the right position.
Hopefully my next video will run a bit smoother, because Wednesday night I had the chance to pick up some tips by attending a fun food blogging, photography and styling event hosted by thefeedfeed. It featured demos by five lovely food bloggers: Megan from Hint of Vanilla, Nik from A Brown Table, Tieghan Gerard from Half Baked Harvest, Amanda from A Life Well Lived, and Jessica from Feed Me Dearly. Each blogger gave lots of helpful advice and ideas, and I’m so excited to use their talks as inspiration in my next shoot.
So, without further ado, here’s that video I was talking about!
Mini Strawberry Rhubarb Galettes
Makes 4 small galettes
- 1 batch of pie dough for a single-crusted 9″ pie (I used my fave from Four and Twenty Blackbirds)
- 3/4 cup chopped strawberries
- 3/4 cup sliced rhubarb (1/4″-1/2″ slices work best)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Pinch of salt
- Splash of vanilla
- 1 egg beaten with a teaspoon of water
- Coarse sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment or a Silpat.
- In a medium bowl, combine the strawberries, rhubarb, sugar, cornstarch, salt and vanilla.
- Divide the dough into four pieces and, working with one at a time, roll out into a 5″-6″ circle (the dough should be a bit less than 1/4″ thick). Spoon on enough fruit so that there is only about 1 1/2″ of border, then fold the border crust over onto the fruit. Pinch the seams together, carefully transfer to the baking sheet, then proceed with the rest of the dough. Once you’ve finished forming the galettes, brush each one with egg wash and sprinkle on a generous amount of coarse sugar.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbly. Enjoy warm with vanilla ice cream!
alexandriacoleMay 27, 2016 at 11:05 am
LOVE the video! So fun 🙂
bklynnibblerMay 27, 2016 at 11:34 am
Thank you so much! 🙂
Simple Blueberry Pie | Crumbs and NibblesJuly 1, 2016 at 2:30 am
[…] Fruit Tart with Vanilla Bean Pastry Cream, the Lemon Amaretti Meringue Tarts, and those mini Strawberry Rhubarb Galettes! Many of those recipes were adapted from one of my all-time favorite cookbooks, The Four […]
threebritsJuly 15, 2016 at 4:57 am
Your photography is amazing and everything you bake looks so delicious 👌🏼
bklynnibblerJuly 15, 2016 at 5:11 pm
Thank you so much! There’s plenty I bake that doesn’t make it to the blog! Those are the not-so-delicious attempts 🙂